Dr. Candice Matthews Withdraws Support for Christian Menefee Over Fatal HPD Shooting Controversy
Dr. Candice Matthews has officially withdrawn her endorsement of Congressman Christian Menefee following allegations surrounding the treatment of the family of a man killed in an HPD shooting.
During a press conference held Tuesday, Matthews stood alongside the family of Tony Underwood, who was fatally shot by Houston police on April 30, 2025. According to the family, Underwood had complied with officers’ commands before the shooting occurred. The family and their attorneys allege the shooting was unnecessary and are demanding accountability from the Houston Police Department.
Matthews said her decision to withdraw support from Menefee stems from actions allegedly taken while he served as Harris County Attorney. She claims the family faced major obstacles while trying to see Underwood in the hospital before he died, accusing Menefee’s office of failing to help and allegedly blocking efforts by the family during a critical moment.
The controversy has now become political as Menefee currently serves in Congress representing the 18th Congressional District after previously serving as Harris County Attorney.
Attorneys representing the family argued that body camera footage and other evidence raise serious questions about the official narrative surrounding the shooting. They claim Underwood was following commands and was not actively threatening officers at the time he was shot.
Matthews called for transparency in the investigation and said the case represents broader concerns about police accountability and how families are treated after officer-involved shootings.
The Houston Police Department has not publicly responded to the allegations made during the press conference.